Saturday, June 12, 2010

Patterns From Heaven..via Quartz Hill

On Thursday I went into a couple of antique store looking for some Vintage Handkerchief. Well The first one had some but they were not the quality I would use for my creations so I moved on to the shop next door. The women who worked there was super sweet and advised me she had only a couple of boxed handkerchief. My experience with the boxed ones is that they end up having rust marks on them from being pinned for all those years. When I turned down the boxed ones she asked what I was going to do with them. Well I told her and the remembered that I had a Onesie that I had made.(Below) So I showed it to her and she was impressed.
The next thing she said was"Do you sew?" Silly question after what I just showed her. I told her yes with no sarcasm. She proceeded to ask me if I want some patterns. m Well sitting on the display in front of me were some vintage patterns from the 50's and 60's. I said I generally did not use patterns and she asked if I could just take them...What? She said that a women had brought some in and then had returned with more. The woman in the store, Kathy, turned around and pointed at a file cabinet and said "They are all in there."
OK...I'm thinking I will look at them and see what they are.

She opens drawer after drawer filled with patterns from the 1950's through 1980's. I told her I did not know what to do with that many patterns and she said she did not either. Her boss said to get rid of them. So I'm thinking "I'll just take a few to humor her." I asked her if they ever tried to sell thing on line and she said "Oh we don't do that". Thinking to myself...ETSY!!! I go through and pick out a grocery bag full, did not even put a dent in the drawer. As I'm leaving she asks me to come back for more...I have to break it to Charlie first as I still have craft and cook books left from when my mom moved and I took my great aunts collection. So I come home and go on-line. Turns out there is a market for patterns from the 50's and 60's.
So I went back on Thursday and picked up the rest. I even purchased one of the boxed sets of Handkerchiefs.
Out of the 300 or so patterns at least 200 are unused, never cut and are like new. Score!!! So I opened a new shop on Etsy called Pinks Vintage Patterns. I hope to sell them and make a like money to make up for being off work for two months during summer break for my job at an elementary school. I will also be re listing aunt Ruthie craft magazines and cookbooks that are all at least 21 years old. Well I need to get back to listing item in my shop and if you have a moment check it out I have a few free items that jut require you pay shipping.
Have a wonderful Day and thanks for follow me here on Bee Chick's Buzz.

0 comments:

Post a Comment